Thursday, July 11, 2013

Wonderful Kale


I have been under the weather for the past week with a frustrating summertime cold.  All that my throat wanted was warm liquids, but it was incredibly hot and humid the first half of the week, so I refrained from making soup.  Well, last night the front moved through and the humidity broke.  Today I decided to muster up the energy to make some soup.  Based on the ingredients, this would typically be considered a winter soup, but I had a fridge full of kale waiting for a recipe.  I found a good one from the Harvest Eating Cookbook by Keith Snow.

Kale and Potato Soup
3 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
Kosher salt, to taste
Freshly ground pepper to taste
½ cup sliced onions
1 quart chicken broth
3 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
6 oz chorizo, cooked
5 cups fresh kale, chopped
3 cups water
 
1.       Heat oil in large soup pot.  Add onion and garlic and sauté for 5 min.
2.      Season with salt and pepper.
3.      Add the chicken broth and potatoes.  Cook for 25 min.
4.      Mash 2 of the potatoes, then add 3 cups water.  Add the cooked chorizo, diced potato and kale.  Cook for 15 minutes.
5.      Enjoy!

 
Kale is a superfood.  Its dark green leaves are full of anti-oxidants, magnesium and calcium.  I thought that the soup was wonderful.  Enjoy it in sickness or in health!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment